Ligonier Valley Rail Road Newspaper Articles
We have compiled over 1,400 newspaper articles that mention the Ligonier Valley Railroad, or related subjects. The articles were originally published starting in 1873 and our collection runs through 1995. Enjoy!
Ligonier Echo
Wednesday, September 22, 1920
A Brief Account Of The P. W. & S. Railroad
In his weekly report to the Pennsylvania Department of Forestry, at Harrisburg,
Forester V. M. Bearer of Ligonier gave the following interesting account of the
abandoned Pittsburg, Westmoreland & Somerset Railroad:
"The rails of the railroad which connected Ligonier with Somerset are being lifted and shipped to other points. While about ten miles of the right-of-way is in the Stuart State
Forest the track has been moved from nearly all of the road bed on the Ligonier side of the forest. Remaining rails are being moved at the rate of about 1,000 feet a day.
"Construction of the road began in 1899, and the following year the Byers and Allen Lumber Co., of Williamsport, hauled logs over the Ligonier end. Although originally built as a logging road, passengers were transported from Ligonier to Allendale, Somerset county, in 1905, and about a year later the line was extended to Somerset. The road was then a direct route from Somerset to Pittsburgh, approximately 70 miles.
"After the lumber company abandoned their operations, the road was used as a freight and passenger route until four years ago. Passengers were last carried between Somerset and Ligonier September 23, 1916. Freight service ceased a few weeks later. Subsequent attempts have been made to operate the road, but because of the heavy grade it was found not economical and the road was abandoned.
"Leaving Ligonier at an elevation of 1160 feet, the railroad route extended over the summit of Laurel Hill, crossing at an elevation of s739 feet, near Laurel summit, 11 miles south of Ligonier.


1